In this post you will find a quick and easy Egg Drop Soup recipe from my Austrian grandma.
In Austria, Egg Drop Soup (or Eintropfsuppe in German) is a clear soup into which a batter made of flour (or semolina), egg and a little milk is "dropped".
This insanely simple and quick soup, which is also called "Ei'trapft's" ("Dripped in"), is a classic of grandma's recipes and is usually served in her home-made chicken broth. It is also common to serve it in a beef broth or vegetable broth.
In this short video you can see how my grandma mixes her batter for the Egg Drop Soup. You can find more similar videos like this on my youtube channel.
Ingredients for 4 portions
- ½ cup of all purpose flour - instead of flour, you can use durum wheat semolina. Semolina absorbs a lot of liquid, so you need a little less than flour. If the dough is too firm, you can make it more liquid with more milk.
- 1 egg - in principle, eggs are central as an ingredient for a soup. However, if you don't have eggs at home, or if you want to make the soup vegan, you can also mix a dough with flour/ semolina, salt and milk (or milk substitute like soy milk). The consistency and taste will be slightly different, but it is also possible to omit the eggs.
- ¼ cup of milk - the recipe tastes especially good with whole milk, but theoretically you can also omit the milk and mix the dough only from eggs and flour (use an additional egg then).
- 1 liter (4 cups) of soup - clear broth from chicken, beef or vegetable soup
Add ½ cup of flour to a bowl or large tea cup.
Crack an egg and add it to the cup.
Add a pinch of salt.
Add ¼ cup of milk.
Whisk until there are no lumps left.
The dough, which is then poured into the hot soup, should be thick, like pancake dough.
Bring the soup to a boil in a pot. Pour drops of the batter - bit by bit - into the simmering soup.
Maybe, you'll also like:
🖨️ DIRECTLY TO RECIPE
Click here to browse more traditional Austrian and Viennese Recipes in English.
Granny's Egg Drop Soup
- ½ cup all purpose flour or durum wheat semolina. Semolina absorbs a lot of liquid, so you need a little less than ½ cup.
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 cups soup 1 liter, clear broth from chicken, beef or vegetable soup
- Add ½ cup of flour to a bowl or large tea cup.
- Crack an egg and add it to the cup.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Add ¼ cup of milk.
- Whisk until there are no lumps left.
- The batter, which is then poured into the hot soup, should be thick, like pancake batter.
- Bring the soup to a boil in a pot. Pour drops of the batter - bit by bit - into the simmering soup.
(c) by Angelika Kreitner-Beretits / Vienna Sunday KitchenNovember 2, 2023 Hast du das Rezept ausprobiert? Dann freue ich mich über deine Bewertung!! / Rate this Recipe!