These traditional Christmas cookies with grated almonds are one of the highlights in the cookie jars that our grandma gives out to the family every year. The almond biscuits are filled with red currant jam and glazed with chocolate, which keeps them incredibly crumbly and soft.
Maybe you will also like:
Traditional Austrian Christmas Cookies - Grandma's Almond Cookies
For the cookie dough
- 150 g flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (not the same as baking soda)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon ground
- 180 g butter or margarine
- 70 g powdered sugar
- 90 g almonds ground
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar or ½ teaspoon vanilla flavour
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g butter
- 100 g chocolate granny uses half milk chocolate, half dark
For filling and decoration
- 100 g red currant jam or other red, sweet-sour jam like raspberry
- flaked almonds for decoration
- Quickly knead all the ingredients for the dough. Rest 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Cut out round or flower-shaped cookies.
- Bake in a preheated oven at approx. 160°C (medium heat).
- Assemble with jam.Spread with melted chocolate on top and decorate with flaked almonds.