Red cabbage with apples cannot be separated from an Austrian Martinigansl feast. This also applies to a Christmas goose in Austria! Or to bratwürstel with boiled potatoes... In any case: this is a must! (Go to recipe directly)
So when we made our Martinigansl last week, we had to prepare som ered cabbage, of course. This recipe is inspired by this German foodblog: kuechenchaotin.de But because I always have to experiment, we have changed the recipe a little bit.
Here is the recipe for the Martinigansl.
Red cabbage with apples, cinnamon and cloves, cooked in red wine and orange juice is just perfect for the Austrian Martinigansl or for Christmas!
Recipe for homemade red cabbage
RED CABBAGE RECIPE WITH APPLES, CINNAMON AND RED WINE
- 800 g red cabbage ~ 1.8lb / 28 oz
- 3-4 apples
- 250 ml red wine ~ 1 US cup
- 250 ml Orangensaft ~ 1 US cup
- 5 tbsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. Butter
- 1 laurel leafs
- 3 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3-4 juniper berries
- salt and pepper e.g. seasoned salt
- Cut the cabbage and the apples into small thin stripes using a knife or the kitchen machine.
- Heat the butter in the same pot in which the red cabbage is made. When the butter is hot, let the sugar caramelize in it. Always stir well, so that nothing burns!
- Now put the red cabbage and the apples in the pot - stir well.
- Pour with red wine and orange juice and add the spices.
- Let simmer for 1-2 hours at low temperature. The longer, the better the flavors unfold! After some time possibly add more salt, more sugar etc ...