Here comes my traditional Austrian Apple Strudel recipe with homemade dough and my grandmother's filling of apples, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, raisins and roasted bread crumbs.
How to make breadcrumbs from scratch.
Recipe for Austrian Apple Strudel from scratch
Classic Austrian Apple Strudel recipe with homemade dough and a filling of apples, cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, raisins and roasted bread crumbs.
For the dough
- 150 g flour all purpose flour / 1.2 US cup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1,5 tbsp. oil vegetable oil eg. sunflower or canola
- 0,5-1 tbsp. bright vinegar eg. apple vinegar, white wine vinegar (no dark balsamico)
- 80 ml lukewarm water ~⅓ US cup
- oil to spread on the dough
- flour to spread on the working surface
For the filling
- 600 g apples sweet-sour, 5-7 apples
- 1 lemon
- 60 g sugar granulated sugar / 4 tbsp.
- 4 tbsp. raisins
- 4 tbsp. Rum
- ½ tbsp. cinnamon grated
- 2 vanilla beans or grated vanilla, or vanilla sugar
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter liquid, for the bread crumbs
- 1 cup bread crumbs unflavoured
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter liquid, for spreading on the dough
- powdered sugar for serving
- big bowl for kneading the dough
- plate + cling film for wrapping and letting rest the dough
- rolling pin or an empty bottle, alternatively
- large cloth eg. an old tablecloth, large dishtowel
- grater or food processor, for grating the apples
Hast du das Rezept ausprobiert? Dann freue ich mich über deine Bewertung!! / Rate this Recipe!
- Put raisins in a small bowl and cover with rum. Let soak for about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix flour, salt, oil, vinegar and lukewarm water. Dust a clean working surface with a bit of flour and kenad very well until a smooth dough. (Knead for about 10 minutes)
- Brush a small bowl with oil. Place the dough inside and brush the entire surface with oil. Cover with a plate and allow to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat up butter in a pan. Add sugar and breadcrumbs and roast them at medium temperature until golden brown.
- Press the lemon.
- Peel and cut the apples into thin slices, using a grater, kitchen machine or knife.
- Mix the lemon juice with the apples so that they do not become brown. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the filling. (Don't add the breadcrumbs yet, though)
Preparations before stretching the Strudel
- Preheat the oven to 180°C circulating air (356°F). Heat up the remaining butter to make it liquid.
- Prepare baking sheet with baking paper, baking mat or brush with oil.
- Moisten a large and clean tea towell or Strudel cloth and put aside.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean working surface.
- Remove rings or other jewellry that might cut holes while you stretch the dough.
Stretching the Strudel dough
- On the dusted working surface, roll out the strudel dough with a rolling pin.
- With your hands, gently stretch out the dough until it becomes transparent. The dough should be stretched out a bit bigger than the size of the baking sheet.
- Place on the cloth. The thicker ends can be cut off.
Filling the Strudel
- Sprad the roasted breadcrumbs on two thirds of the stretched out strudel dough.
- Then spread the apple filling evenly on the crumbs. Not on the whole strudel, but only on the half, where the crumbs are.
- Grease the other (empty) part of the strudel with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter.
- Roll the strudel with the help of the cloth. Close the ends well, so that the filling does not fall out. With the help of the cloth, place on the baking sheet. (see video in posting above)
- Brush with some melted butter on top and put into the oven.Bake for a total of 30 minutes. After 15 minutes of baking time spread with more butter.
- After baking, allow to cool down a bit, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve when still warm! Enjoy!
Ich freu mich über deine Rückmeldung zum Rezept in den Kommentaren!