Granny’s Vanilla Crescents recipe with walnuts. This traditional Austrian Christmas cookie will blow your mind 😉 In this article, I show you how to make them and tell you my granny’s secret tipps.
Save this recipe on pinterest for later:
Granny’s secrets to the best Vanilla Cresents in town:
1. Freshly grounded walnuts
(Of course you can buy them already grounded, freshly grounded though, the Vanilla Crescents will taste not as dry)
2. The ends of the crescents should not be too thin (otherwise it becomes dark in the oven)
(see video below)
3. Use cold butter for kneading the dough and keep dough cool
Otherwise your Crescents are at risk to fall apart during rolling.
4. store in metall cookie containers in a cool room (or in fridge)
Otherwise they dry out easily
Quickly knead 110g sugar, 110g ground walnuts, 215g butter and 260g flour to a dough, let rest in fridge for 30min. Form a roll about 1inch thick, cut into pieces. Roll each piece into a crescent. Bake at 320-360°F in preheated oven, each baking sheet about 10 mins.
Get out of oven and let cool just a bit, gently wrap in a mix of powdered sugar and 2-3 tbsp. vanilla sugar. (If Vanilla sugar is not common in your local grocery store, you can diy)
Maybe you also like:
In this short video, my granny shows how to roll Vanilla Crescents:
Vanilla Crescents recipe for print:
Granny’s Vanilla Crescents
- blender for grounding nuts (optional)
- cooking machine with kneading function (alternatively knead by hand)
- 110 g white sugar
- 110 g grounded walnuts
- 215 g cold butter
- 260 g all purpose flour (no self-raising flour)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. vanilla sugar for alternatives, see blog post
- Quickly knead sugar, walnuts, cold butter and flour to a dough.
- Let rest in fridge for 30min.
- Form a roll about 1inch thick, cut into pieces. Roll each piece into a crescent.
- Bake at 320-360°F in preheated oven, each baking sheet about 10 mins.
- Get out of oven and let cool just a bit, gently wrap in a mix of powdered sugar and 2-3 tbsp. vanilla sugar.
- Store in metall cookie boxes in a cool room (or in fridge).