This sweet pasta recipe for homemade potato noodles with finely chopped walnuts and powdered sugar will blow your mind, the whole thing tastes so heavenly!
Nussnudeln are not as well-known as Austrian Mohnnudeln (poppy seed noodles), but they are just as perfect food for the soul (i.e. "Austrian soulfood", so to speak).
Like other Austrian pastry recipes, they can be served both as a dessert and as a main course.
For the sweet walnut pasta you need
- 400 g of floury potatoes (14 oz / 0.9 lbs)
- 125 g of all purpose flour (1 cup)
- 1 egg yolk
- 25 g of butter (bit less than 2 tablespoons)
- a pinch of salt
- finely chopped nuts (~ 1 cup)
- icing sugar for sprinkling (to taste)
In this video you can see a brief summary of the most important steps for preparing the recipe. You can find more similar videos like this on my YouTube channel.
Shelf Life & Freezing
Schupfnudeln made of potato dough taste best fresh, but keep cool in the fridge for a few days. To reheat it is best to heat it in the microwave or in a pan with a little butter, but do not cook again.
Schupfnudeln are best frozen uncooked, but they can also be frozen if they have already been cooked. More information about freezing Schupfnudeln can be found here.
🖨️ DIRECTLY TO RECIPE
Click here to browse more traditional Austrian and Viennese Recipes in English.
- 400 g of floury potatoes 14 oz / 0.9 lbs
- 125 g all purpose flour 1 cup
- 1 egg yolk
- 25 g butter bit less than 2 tablespoons
- pinch of salt
- 60 g finely chopped nuts ½ cup
- 50 g butter ~3-4 tablespoons
- powdered sugar for sprinkling to taste
- Cook potatoes with their peel (preferably the day before). Peel cold potatoes and mash finely with a potato ricer.
- Knead potatoes with flour, salt, egg yolk and butter quickly into a dough.
- Form rolls and cut off equal-sized pieces.
- From each portion, roll a noodle with the hollow palm of your hand.
- Put into boiling water and let simmer for about 10 minutes on low to medium temperature. Once they float to the surface, the noodles are ready and can be strained.
- Melt butter and pour over the noodles before serving. Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts and powdered sugar. Serve while still warm.
(c) by Angelika Kreitner-Beretits / Vienna Sunday KitchenSeptember 14, 2023 Hast du das Rezept ausprobiert? Dann freue ich mich über deine Bewertung!! / Rate this Recipe!