This simple and quick recipe for Austrian Style Chicken Paprikash (Paprikahendl) is a beloved classic of my grandma, which she likes to serve often to her guests.
In this post you will find below detailed instructions with pictures and a video where you can see the preparation.
In addition, I'll tell you the tips and tricks so that the Paprikahendl tastes just as wonderful as at grandma's.Springe zu Rezept
The following ingredients are needed. The exact quantities can be found at the bottom of the recipe card.
- chicken legs or chicken breast
- yellow onion
- Chicken soup - my grandma freezes her homemade chicken soup in 250ml jars, so she always has fresh soup ready to cook.
For the chicken soup she takes (cheap) parts of the chicken like neck, lower legs, wings (everything that has bones and skin, so no chicken breast). The whole thing is poured with water and cooked with soup vegetables, leftover onion skins, garlic skins, vegetable peels, bay leaves, juniper and lovage for about 1 hour on low. Then salt it.
Alternatively, you can use a store-bought chicken or vegetable stock or make a quick vegetable soup: boil soup vegetables and/or peelings of onion, garlic, celery, carrots, turnips, etc. with bay leaf, lovage, 2-3 juniper berries for about 20 minutes.
Alternatively, water can be used. Then you have to add more seasoning and salt at the end.
- marjoram, dried
- sour cream (sour cream)
- Flour, to thicken the sauce - alternatively cornstarch
Benötigte Zeit: 45 Minuten.
- Saute chopped onion and add paprika powder
- Salt and pepper chicken
- Add to pan, add marjoram.
- Pour soup until chicken is covered
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Stir sour cream with flour until smooth
- Add sauce
- Stir until smooth
- Remove chicken from pan
- Add sour cream to pan
- Blend sauce
- Add chicken to sauce
- Serve with tagliatelle or spaetzle pasta
Chicken Paprikash shelf life & reheating
How long does Paprikahendl keep in the refrigerator?
Chicken Paprikash will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. It should be cooled as soon as possible after cooking, i.e. it should not be left outside for too long.
How do I reheat Chicken Paprikash?
Chicken Paprikash is easiest to reheat in the sauce. When doing so, the sauce should simmer for at least a few minutes. The meat then becomes even softer and almost melts in your mouth…
Can I store & reheat the noodles or butter dumplings in the Chicken Paprikash sauce?
I would recommend keeping the side dishes like noodles or spaetzle to cool in an extra pot.
To reheat, you can heat warm them in the sauce just before serving.
Freezing & thawing
Can I freeze Chicken Paprikash?
The cooked Chicken Paprikash can be frozen together with the sauce and will keep for a few months.
To defrost, heat up the sauce in a pot and simmer for a few minutes. I would not freeze the side dishes such as pasta or spaetzle together with the sauce, as they can become mushy when thawed.
Side dishes for Chicken Paprikash
Chicken Paprikash is probably most popular with spaetzle. My grandmother though, usually serves it with tagliatelle noodles or other pasta, because it's faster.
If you like this recipe, maybe you'll also like my other traditional Viennese family recipes in English!
Let's keep in touch! Subscribe to my monthly newsletter 😉
Chicken Paprikash Austrian Style (Paprikahendl)
- 500 g chicken legs 1 lb, chicken breast also possible
- 1 onion yellow, medium sized
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder noble sweet
- 3 cups chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 3 tablespoon sour cream 100g
- 3 tablespoon flour or corn starch (50g)
- In a pot, sauté finely chopped onion until translucent and add paprika powder.
- Salt and pepper chicken legs.
- Fry chicken legs in the pot, add marjoram.
- Pour soup until everything is covered.
- Let simmer for about 30 minutes until meat is tender.
- Mix sour cream with flour until smooth. Add a little of the hot cooking sauce and stir.
- Remove chicken from pot.
- Mix in sour cream and puree with a hand blender.
- Return meat to pot and serve in sauce.
Ich freu mich über deine Rückmeldung zum Rezept in den Kommentaren!