Once again, I did some research on a classic recipe of my granny. This time, I wanted to know the secret of her super fluffy apricot jam roulade.
As always, you will find the basic recipe at the bottom. I summarized the tips and tricks of grandma in the blog posting for you. (Directly to recipe)
So what are the secrets of Grandma’s super fluffy apricot jam roulade?
- Grandma uses more sugar. Much more sugar. Yes, that’s the way it is.
Many recipes for jam roulades ask for the same amount of flour and sugar. My grandmother though, uses 20g flour and 30g sugar per egg. This means 50% more sugar than the standard recipes!
- And she also uses more butter.
In addition, she sometimes adds a little liquid butter to the dough. I was not able to find out how much butter exactly, though. (Because when she made the recipe for the video, we forgot to add it.) She just told me to add “a little bit of butter”. If you try the recipe yourself, I would recommend you start with approximately 1-2 teaspoons. The butter should be liquid and lukewarm, but not hot.
- The eggs have to be really fresh.
To test this, granny separates each egg over an extra bowl. Then she checks if the yolk is firm and does not run. If the yolk is running, it will not be used for the roulade.
- Fold in the ingredients carefully.
When the beaten snow is mixed with the yolk and the rest of the ingredients, grandma does not immediately put all the ingredients in the bowl, but gradually mixes them in with a hand whisk. (not an electric hand mixer) This way, the “fluffyness” of the egg snow is not lost. In the video below you can see how the texture of the dough should be before baking.
- If the eggs are rather small, granny does not use all of the flour and sugar.
She mixes them with the eggs bit by bit. As a result, she can control the amount of flour and sugar added.
- Homemade apricot jam.
Yes, unfortunately, a better taste in cooking and baking is often really associated with more work.
My grandma and I shot a video with the instructions for the perfectly fluffy jam roulade dough.
If you liked the grandma video, you can see even more on the Youtube channel of Vienna Sunday Kitchen.
Have fun baking!
Here is the detailed recipe for the jam roulade
GRANNY RECIPE FOR SUPER FLUFFY JAM ROULADE
- 6 eggs fresh
- 1 cup wheat flour 120g, pastry or cake flour if possible
- 1,5 cup caster sugar 180g
- 1-2 teaspoon Butter liquid, lukewarm
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 2 pc. vanilla sugar (16g)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup apricot jam
- caster sugar for decoration
- 1 teaspoon Butter to grease the baking paper
- flour to dust the greased baking paper
- Grease baking paper with butter and dust with flour.
- Separate the eggs, beat the snow very stiff.
- Mix all remaining ingredients except eggs and butter.
- Bit by bit, with a whisk, mix the egg yolks with the snow. Fold in the remaining ingredients and the liquid butter. (mix in carefully, bit by bit, so that the dough stays fluffy)
- Put on baking paper and bake at 200°C (~390°F) in a preheated oven at top and bottom heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Immediately after baking, spread the jam over the exposed side. Use the baking paper on the underside to roll up the cake.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.