This sauerkraut salad with apple and lentils is a quick and easy lunch packed with vitamins, minerals and probiotic lactic acid bacteria.
The sauerkraut salad recipe is quickly mixed together with raw sauerkraut, grated apples, a little honey and apple cider vinegar, olive oil and cooked brown lentils and provides you with a portion of energy during the cold winter months.
Sauerkraut salad is quick, easy and perfect to take away: The salad is easy to prepare and is therefore ideal as a light office meal.
The sauerkraut salad can also be prepared the day before and is therefore ideal as a light office meal to take away.
As sauerkraut and lentils keep the digestive system on its toes, this recipe is more suitable for lunch than for dinner. Some people do not tolerate sauerkraut and lentils so well in the evening.
If your stomach is not used to sauerkraut, it is best to start with a smaller amount than stated in the recipe and then gradually increase the amount.
The sauerkraut salad with apple also tastes very good as a side dish without lentils.
In this short video you can see the most important steps of the recipe. You can find more videos like this on the Youtube-Kanal of Vienna Sunday Kitchen - I look forward to you subscribing to the channel! 🙂
Sauerkraut Salad variations
This salad recipe with raw sauerkraut is very easy to vary. Here are a few ideas:
- If you leave out the lentils, the sauerkraut salad tastes great as a side dish with anything you would normally serve with a mixed salad or coleslaw
- The sauerkraut salad can also be combined very well with finely grated root vegetables such as carrots, parsnips, yellow turnips or parsley roots.
- Instead of cress, other types of sprouts and herbs such as parsley or chives are also suitable
- The sauerkraut salad can also be garnished with walnuts.
- Instead of apples, or in addition to them, pears or citrus fruits such as finely chopped oranges are also suitable.
What to eat with Sauerkraut Salad
What goes well with sauerkraut salad? With lentils, this salad recipe makes a main meal that can be supplemented with a piece of bread or bread roll, for example.
If you leave out the lentils, the sauerkraut salad tastes very good as a fruity, fresh side dish, for example with pasta, vegetarian main courses, fish, meat, sausages, meatloaf, burger patties or anything anything that would otherwise be served with a mixed salad or coleslaw.
Raw sauerkraut salad with apple and lentils
- Salad bowl
- 1 cup unpasteurized sauerkraut approx. the same amount of sauerkraut as apples
- 2 apples approx. 1 cup alternatively applesauce
- 1+½ cup lentils, cooked (I used a tin of 400g, 265g drained)
- 4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch caraway seeds, grated
- handful cress
- Mix the honey, apple cider vinegar, olive oil and caraway seeds in the salad bowl.
- If necessary, remove juniper berries or whole pepper corns from the sauerkraut.
- Pour the canned lentils into a sieve and rinse with water.
- Grate the apples. Peeling is not necessary.
- Add the apples, sauerkraut and lentils into the marinade and mix well. Sprinkle with a little cress.
(c) by Angelika Kreitner-Beretits / Vienna Sunday KitchenJanuar 30, 2024 Hast du das Rezept ausprobiert? Dann freue ich mich über deine Bewertung!! / Rate this Recipe!